I recently celebrated my one year anniversary as a podcaster. YAY! I love milestones. This journey has been amazing so far, and has opened doors for me that I did not imagine. Considering that I did not listen to podcasts prior to starting my own is pretty ironic, and further illustrates that I did not envision this path before deciding to take a leap into the waters. Honestly, four months before starting She Leads Podcast, I did not know what a podcast was. Don’t judge me!
On International Women’s Day, March 8, 2019, I had the privilege of speaking on the Women in Podcasting panel at the 2019 Podfest Multimedia Expo in Orlando, FL. This experience was amazing, and landing on such an appropriate day took it over the top! As a direct result of having the courage to start my podcast, surprisingly to me I was approached about being a speaker at this phenomenal event. I am amazed that I was sought out for this speaking engagement! Had I not started podcasting I would not have had this opportunity. There are so many people doing extraordinary things all because of starting a podcast, which proves that podcasting can open doors to the unimaginable.
During the 2019 Podfest Multimedia Expo I sat in on a keynote speech given by Pat Flynn, WOW! Pat Flynn took us on an amazing journey of his experiences and the opportunities that were the direct result of starting his podcast. Podcasting literally changed his life by expanding his network, giving him the access to be featured in film, and providing the experience that lead to him becoming an inventor. “All Because of My Podcast” was how he ended each story he shared with us. He cleverly engaged the audience by having us chant “All Because of My Podcast” with him. I was so moved and inspired by his message! It really hit home for me because I can attest to his point by looking over the last twelve months of my own life. All because of my podcast I have become an international speaker, connected with so many amazing people, facilitated workshops, and spoke on a panel. This time two years ago none of this was within my scope. Podcasting is an amazing journey, and it has literally changed my life.
4 Tips for Embarking on the Amazing Journey of Podcasting
- Start Dirty! I learned this from Chris Krimitsos, Creator of Podfest Multimedia Expo. This means don’t over think it, don’t try to be perfect, just get out there and make it happen.
- Be Consistent! I learned this from my first podcast guest who happened to be a fellow podcaster. It is important to create and adhere to a schedule, so your listens know what to expect.
- Be Engaging! Considering you do not have a long amount of time before people loose interest, it’s important to pull them in immediately and keep them interested throughout.
- Don’t Give Up! As the saying goes, Rome was not built in a day. Thus, it takes ground work to reach the goal and targets desired. Keep pushing to see what the end will be. At times it may be necessary to pivot and adjust, but quitting should never be an option.
The Benefits of Podcasting
- Podcasting gives you the opportunity to let your voice and the voices of others be heard.
- Podcasting is an unsaturated market, as there are only 50% of households that currently listen to podcasts.
- Podcasting can lead to a career, as many people are successful full-time podcasters.
- Podcasting can be used as a tool to generate business in your current company.
- Podcasting can put you in the right place at the right time around the right people.
The possibilities available to you from podcasting are limitless!
IF you are thinking about podcasting, THEN you should give it a try.
IF you have a message or story you want to share with the world, THEN you should become a podcaster!
Because, “Podcasting is an Amazing Journey”